Sunday, July 5, 2020

Game centers in the Philippines during pandemic (COVID-19)

2020 is the year of struggles, as the world fights against the pandemic. The Philippines is also experiencing an overwhelming unemployment in almost all industries, that includes entertainment and recreation. All amusement and game centers in the Philippines are forced to halt their operations, as the national government mandates all leisure and entertainment industries should be close. As this kind of industry is highly susceptible in virus transmission. 

For more than three months Quantum, Timezone, and World of Fun are still close in major cities in the Philippines except for Baguio, as of writing, the city categorized as MGCQ (Modified General Community Quarantine). The Quantum branch in Baguio is allowed to open with social distancing in place. I read in social media posts that one branch of Timezone will be permanently close and maybe retrench employees to keep the company afloat during this crisis. I am afraid that other game centers will do the same if lockdowns is not lifted. 

I, myself, miss playing at game centers. I miss hanging out with my friends.  Good thing that I have console and games to play while they are close. I hope they survive this crisis and able to regain profitability right after this pandemic. If the national government lifts it in Metro Manila, I will definitely rush in a nearby game center and play games all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment