Saturday, September 26, 2020

Owning a PlayStation 3 launch model in 2020

This week, I was able to score a first model of PlayStation 3 (CECHA00) through Facebook marketplace. Owning the first model is what the retro collectors are hunting, especially when the unit is in pristine condition. This console is what I dreamt of when it was launch wayback in 2006.

PlayStation 3 CECHA00 60GB model

Why I think the first PS3 model special? Because of the console's backwards compatible with PS2 and PS1. Another selling point of the console is capability of upscaling the PS2/PS1 games thru HDMI output, making game graphics of previous consoles more clearer in modern TV's (up to 720p resolution). Second generation models used software emulation of the PS2, until it was removed on models CECHGxx and up. The launch and second generation models are the only units that has 4 USB ports.  

PS3's font is based from the movie SPIDERMAN

The first model has its share of cons and problems such as; very expensive launch price at $599, a heavy unit, I had difficulty in carrying the console while commuting. It weighs around 5 kilos. And lastly, the infamous YLOD or Yellow Light Of Death. The cause of YLOD is still unknown but some say that it was caused by too much heat in the motherboard that makes the console to stop working and produced a yellow light in its indicators. I must admit that I have to careful in using the console, as I have bought it second hand. I have no idea if this console had a history repairs regarding YLOD or other defects. 

PS3 launch model is the only PlayStation console with four USB ports


Nowadays, the first PS3 model in good condition is rarely seen in the local Buy and Sell market. I have seen an abundant number of first model, but it is located in the Junk section of the second hand shops in Japan. Luckily, I was able to snagged it for less than 60 USD locally. I was able to play music games through PS2 to USB adapter from Elecom, as most music games in PS2 do not use USB ports. I have plans of upgrading the storage, as I have an extra HDD with 500GB capacity.

Buying this console in 2020 is already retro as every gamer called it, but its features coincides with the current standards of eighth generation of consoles. Fortunately, the console can still use the PSN directly, although no new games was being released despite it was officially discontinued in 2017. In November 2020, Sony will released the PS5 (PlayStation 5) console.

No comments:

Post a Comment